by Lauren Schutte
The country songstress tries her hand at acting in Soul Surfer, the story of surfer Bethany Hamilton who survived a real-life shark-attack in 2003 and eventually found her way back to the board (in theaters Friday).
Here are 5 things you should know about the newly-minted movie star.
1. This is Underwood’s first film role. The singer, who got her start as cycle four winner of American Idol, dipped her toe in the acting pool last year with a guest spot on CBS’s How I Met Your Mother, but her Soul Surfer role marks the first time she’ll appear on the big screen.
2. She has a small, but pivotal role. In the movie, the country singer plays youth pastor Sarah Hill, who helps shark attack survivor Bethany Hamilton after her recovery.
3. She didn’t take up surfing after being in the film. “I enjoy being by the water, but being on the water is scary,” she explained to Fox411. “I’m a horrible swimmer, I’m a fear of drowning kind of girl.”
4. She’s not ruling out continuing her acting career. “You never know,” Underwood told the AP. “I’m not saying anything either way. I’m very busy with music and that’s what I love, that’s what I know. But you know this was special. It didn’t fit into my schedule at all, but we made time for it. It was so special. So if something else really special came along, I’m not going to say never.”
5. She still finds time to watch (and vote on) American Idol. “I wouldn’t miss it,” she revealed on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. But, don’t ask her who she thinks will win. “I never really talk about my favorites or who I’m voting for.” Though Underwood did admit to voting for herself.